Yatzy is a game you play with 5 dices together with your friends.
If you don’t have any yatzy protocol papers you can use an app I created called Yatzy Protocol which is available on App Store for iPhone.
Please use the comments for any questions or discussion about the game. You can also send me an email at email@example.com about any questions regarding the iPhone application.
This is a game for one or more people. You play with 5 dices. First player roll all the dices at once. The player then decides which dices to keep an which to re roll. You can re roll 2 times (So a 3 rolls per turn totally).
When the player have rolled the dices 3 times she picks a category to place the score in. For all valid dice you get the same number of points as you have dots on the dices. So a six gives you 6 points and a four gives you four points and so on. Yatzy and bonus is an exception for this rule.
The upper section contains the following categories:
If you choose to place your scores at sixes you will get six points per dice with a six on it. If you choose fives you get five points per dice with a five on it. And so on.
So the maximum score for each category is 5 for ones, 10 for twos, 15 for threes, 20 for fours, 25 for fives and 30 for sixes.
If the summary of the upper section is 63 or more you get 50 bonus points.
The lower section contains the following categories:
- pair: If 2 dices has the same value they are a pair. You score the total number of the dices. Lowest is 2 if you get two dices with the value 1. Highest are 12 if you get 2 dices of the value 6.
- 2 pair: Same as pair but 2 pair of dices with the same value. Dices that also counts as 4 of kind are not a valid 2 pair. Lowest score are 6 if you score 2 dices of value 1 and 2 dices of value 2. Highest are 22 if you have pair in 5 and 6.
- 3 of a kind: 3 dices of the same value. You score the number of the 3 dices together.So 3 points if you get 3 of 1 and 18 points if you get 3 of 6.
- 4 of a kind: 4 dices of the same value. You score the number of the 4 dices together.So 4 points if you get 4 of 1 and 24 points if you get 4 of 6.
- full house: 3 of a kind together with a pair.
- small straight: The dices are a straight from 1-5. This will give you 15 points (1+2+3+4+5=15)
- large straight: The dices are a straight from 2-6. This will give you 20 points (2+3+4+5+6=20).
- chance: Everything is valid as a chance. You get the total number of all 5 dices.
- yatzy: 5 dices of the same value. This will always give you 50 points.
So all valid dices will give you the same number of points as the value on the dices except from yatzy which are always worth 50 points.
If your result won’t fit in any category or if the category is already used you have to strike any of the category you have left. You do that by placing zero points in it.
When all players played all their categories the winner is the one with highest score.
Read some more?